The remains of at least two persons were taken from a site in St. Catherine believed to be a mass burial site that gangs used to dispose of their victims.
On Tuesday (June 23)the remains of at least two persons were excavated from the makeshift graves.
The excavations come as a result of over two years worth of investigative work carried out by detectives attached to the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF)
Acting Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) in charge of Crime, Fitz Bailey, speaking at the site said, police had been following investigative leads pertaining to the area for more than two years.
“For the past year and a half, we have been getting intelligence and doing our investigations regarding the possibilities of bodies being buried at a site. …We were here last year and we came back two to three weeks ago… and we came back this morning and the result was that we have found at least two bodies,” he said.
Acting DCP Bailey pointed out that the operation was a joint effort, involving many units of the constabulary force, including the Scenes of Crime Unit and the Canine Division, as well as the Jamaica Defence Force.
Bailey further revealed that investigators suspect the bodies had been buried for at least three years.
“A lot of commendation must be given to them and I want to say that the JCF has the capacity to treat with whatever crime we have to deal with. We have the forensic capabilities and having identified these bodies we are going to also continue to use science…we have to use DNA as a means of identifying who these people are…,” he added.