Prime Minister of the Bahamas Dr. Hubert Minnis has said that the island will go into a two-week lockdown again following a spike in COVID-19 cases.
The PM made the announcement while speaking on Tuesday (July 21) noting that the lockdown measures would come into effect on July 23 and would run until August 7.
“Grand Bahama will be placed on a two-week lockdown in order to slow and control the community and spread of the COVID-19 virus on that island, ” said Minnis.
“The lockdown will take effect beginning Thursday 23rd of July at 7 pm until Friday the 7th of August, 5 am,” added the PM.
The lockdown means that residents on the island would be required to remain at home unless they are an essential worker.
Food stores will be allowed to open Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. and pharmacies, water depots, and gas stations may operate Monday to Friday 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
According to PM Minnis, health officials have confirmed a total of 59 cases of COVID-19; 51 one of which have been recorded since the country opened its borders on July 1.
The PM said, following careful consultation with health and other officials, a decision had been made to close the domestic borders and have suspended flights in an out of the country.